Getting started with On1 Photo RAW 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Getting started with On1 Photo RAW

Name Message
DUFFY

Topic  Getting started with On1 Photo RAW       Flag »  Reply »
Like the name says, this is where you browse all your photos and you can do it extremely fast in Photo RAW. One of the nice things about this software is the fact importing images Is not required.

You don’t create libraries or catalogs in Photo RAW, rather, you simply are viewing the images as they appear on your memory cards or hard drives (including cloud based drives).

If you’re like me, you know where your images are and things like a master catalog are not necessary.

The images appear on my computer with lightning speed compared to Adobe Lightroom. Even though I have a fast Mac Pro computer with 64 GB of RAM, Lightroom takes some time to load images and build previews. In comparison, my photos appear almost instantly in Photo RAW.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:23:32 AM
ROBINSON

Reply  Re: Getting started with On1 Photo RAW Flag »  Reply »
If you want to have easy access to specific images within specific folders, use the indexing feature. By indexing these folders Photo RAW will keep track of all the current thumbnails of all the photos in that folder. Using indexed folders allows you to have those folders at your fingertips anytime you use Photo RAW. A good example of this is when working on your latest project. Index that folder with all your RAW images and it will stay at the top left of your window for quick access.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:25:01 AM
DALTON

Indexing folders allows images to load faster in the browser. Now the browser is quite fast as is but indexing permits Photo RAW to draw the thumbnails for the image files in advance and that helps speed up the whole process of viewing, selecting and editing your images. Time is money and I’ll take every last second of extra time made available to me.

How many images can you index? Well, I tried with several thousand and it worked seamlessly. The folks at On1 say that you can do tens of thousands of files with no issues but be aware that you’ll need to allow your computer to take the time to index that kind of volume. As I’ve said, I found the browser fast but the indexed images show up instantly. 

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:25:15 AM
disruptivetalk

A great feature in Photo Raw is albums. This is a way that allows you to create virtual albums of images that all have the same star rating or are labeled a specific color. You can also drag images right from the browser into the specific album in the sidebar that you want to add it to. By adding images to an album in any way you are not physically moving them from their original location and that is exactly what I’d want.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:25:35 AM
ROBINSON

There are three view modes in the Browse module. Light table, full photo, and filmstrip. This is similar to most all other image browsers.

To see a full frame image when looking at a thumbnail, just double click on the thumbnail to see a full-size preview. One more mouse click will get you to a 100% magnification of the image.

If you’re a steadfast Lightroom user and prefer that kind of image browsing with catalogs, then you can still use all the other features of Photo RAW as a Lightroom plugin. For some, that may be one of those best of both worlds situations.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:25:59 AM
RUIZ

ON1 Photo Raw review interface packs a lot of tools, and is not the most straightforward of its peers to navigate. I only discovered where some features were days after starting to use it. The program has just two mode buttons: Browse and Edit, with sub-choices under the latter for Develop, Effects, Portrait, and Local. Switching modes is somewhat inconveniently done with buttons all the way at the top right, and sometimes it's slower than I'd like.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:27:44 AM
RUIZ

ON1 Photo Raw review interface packs a lot of tools, and is not the most straightforward of its peers to navigate. I only discovered where some features were days after starting to use it. The program has just two mode buttons: Browse and Edit, with sub-choices under the latter for Develop, Effects, Portrait, and Local. Switching modes is somewhat inconveniently done with buttons all the way at the top right, and sometimes it's slower than I'd like.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:27:44 AM
DUFFY

As with many photo apps, the left panel shows the sources of your photos, such as drives, folders, and cloud services. It also shows which folders are cataloged (or already imported into ON1), and Albums you've amassed. The right panel is similar to that in Lightroom, showing either photo info and metadata or editing controls, depending on whether you're in Browse or Edit mode. You can collapse either side panel with controls at the bottom of the window.

Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:28:12 AM
jonsmaradona

There's no clear Import button like the ones you find in Lightroom and PhotoDirector, but you can import from a memory card, connected camera, or external USB drive using the File > Import option. Plugging a card into the computer doesn't pop up an Import dialog as it does in Lightroom; rather, it simply adds a drive entry in the Local Drives list. Unlike AfterShot Pro, ON1 actually moves the image files to a folder you specify. It also lets you choose file naming, add metadata (including keywords), and apply presets.
  Friday, October 30, 2020 at 2:28:26 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Getting started with On1 Photo RAW

» Reply to Getting started with On1 Photo RAW Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.