Car insurance follows self-insured car? 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Car insurance follows self-insured car?

Name Message
DUFFY

Topic  Car insurance follows self-insured car?       Flag »  Reply »
I have a very good insurance policy, and I got into my friend's car to go literally across the street to a store, and got into an accident right outside the driveway. And the owner told me that his car is self-insured. So basically, he would have to pay the bill himself. Of course, I would pay it for him, but before I do -- is there any way to get my insurance to pay any part of it? Is there any additional option for me to purchase, so that if this happens again I would be covered?

Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:47:04 AM
RUIZ

Reply  Re: Car insurance follows self-insured car? Flag »  Reply »
Your insurance follows your vehicles, not anything else you drive unless it is a covered rental. if you are found At Fault and the other driver has been injured your friend could be in some serious money issues. let's hope it is not a costly lesson

Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:48:14 AM
DALTON

Can you please give a reference to what a covered rental is? For example, even if I paid him to use this vehicle, obviously that's not enough.

Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:48:22 AM
disruptivetalk

It would have to be to a rental company and certainly not something after the fact. for some insurers a car you rent while your insured car is being repaired would carry the limitations on your policy, for other insurance companies any passenger car you rent would be covered. As far as I can tell, in South Carolina your friend would need at least 25 vehicles to self insure a fleet. he can self insure his personal vehicle if he posts a bond. Many people say they are self insured when they carry no insurance however.

Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:48:31 AM
ROBINSON

Not sure it has to be a rental company car, but it does need to be either a rental vehicle or a temporary replacement vehicle when yours was not driveable for some reason like it was in the shop, etc.

I filed a claim on my policy when I borrowed a larger vehicle to go up North for a weekend. I hit a deer & didn't want the other person's deductible to come into play & I didn't want the claim history on their policy. My carrier paid the claim with no problem.

But it was in Michigan & both of us had insurance with same carrier, so that may have been an issue

Check with your carrier to see if you have any comp or collision for a temporary replacement vehicle.

Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:48:43 AM
DUFFY

No, it's definitely self-insurance because the insurance card in the glove compartment said "Self-insurance corporation" or something along those lines.

But is there a reliable reference that says that the car must be owned by a rental company in order for my insurance to apply? For example, Does Automobile Insurance Follow the Car or the Driver? says
  Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:49:02 AM
RUIZ

I guess you just can't read. Had the offer been made I was ready to work a 40 hour shift at Geico, live in an extend-a stay if necessary, and never had an agency owner say that a customer is not worth the bother. Wish I could walk in your shoes but life experiences have not permitted me to turn people away
  Monday, December 30, 2019 at 6:49:20 AM
jonsmaradona

General is a good company. Representatives are well train and respectful and knowledgeable of company policy and what they have to offer. I was really pleased with the ease of everything I was trying to accomplish. Excellent Insurance company. It has been by far one of the best insurance agencies I’ve ever had and will continue to have.

Check this link right here 
http://www.general.com

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 7:04:46 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Car insurance follows self-insured car?

» Reply to Car insurance follows self-insured car? Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.