Self-Discipline - The Master Key to Success 

Professional Surveyor Boards » General Surveying » Self-Discipline - The Master Key to Success

Name Message
princywilliam

Topic  Self-Discipline - The Master Key to Success       Flag »  Reply »
In his book 'Outliers', Malcolm Gladwell talks  Quantum Manifestation Code Review about the 10,000-hour rule. In almost any field of discipline it takes around 10,000 hours of intense practice to achieve mastery. The Beatles performed live in Hamburg, Germany more than 1,200 times between 1960 and 1964, contributing to their gaining 10,000 hours of live playing time. This was the secret to their greatness.Bill Gates gained access to a high school computer in 1968, at the age of 13, and spent more than 10,000 hours programming the computer. For most people, it takes around 10 years to spend the 10,000 hours of practice required to gain mastery.

As Indian IT services companies aspire to move up the value chain, we need to look at our human resources practices very differently. The focus on mastery has to be far more intense. This would require clear identification of craft disciplines within the field. As an example, the construction industry clearly requires different specializations - architecture, structural design, project management and interior design.The IT industry needs to recruit and train to these specific disciplines. People need to be provided the time and encouragement to achieve mastery in their respective areas. Individuals need to aspire to become true masters, and their mastery must be acknowledged and rewarded.

This issue is not unique to the IT industry. Companies across many industries make do with mediocrity. Trainees are training other trainees. However, with increasing global competition, companies need to become nimbler, agile and more innovative to stay relevant and lead the pack.The Connected Age will drive the need for mastery across the board, at the same time facilitating the process of gaining mastery. Do share your own insights and experiences with regards to mastery.People wonder why I have been able to enjoy business success at a young age, and I tell them that I know how to focus. I am not any smarter or more qualified then anyone else, I just know exactly what I want and I work toward my vision daily.

Friday, January 18, 2019 at 12:25:04 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » General Surveying » Self-Discipline - The Master Key to Success

» Reply to Self-Discipline - The Master Key to Success Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.