The English Wife 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Education » The English Wife

Name Message
blarebaffled

Topic  The English Wife       Flag »  Reply »

If there were a literary recipe for bestselling author Lauren Willig’s novel The English Wife, it would include blending equal parts historical fiction and British murder mystery, a dash of “Downton Abbey” and a pinch of Edith Wharton’s Gilded Age.

That’s not to say The English Wife is cliché or formulaic; on the contrary, readers will be alternately delighted and shocked by this page-turner that features a dual narrative tethered to the social caste systems that straddled the pond in the late 19th century.

One of the novel’s two heroines, Georgie, is a former English showgirl and the wife of the wealthy American Bayard Van Duyvil—a blueblood from a distinguished, albeit dysfunctional, New York family. This unlikely match is kindled in London, where Bayard rescues Georgie from a life of poverty and hardship and brings her to New York, much to the chagrin of his mother, the formidable matriarch Mrs. Van Duyvil.

The tale begins with what appears to be a double murder at a New York society gala, and then unfolds in flashbacks, moving from late 19th-century London’s mean streets, where Georgie works as an actress, to the storied banks of the Hudson, where the Van Duyvil’s gracious manse is a hub for the old Dutch Knickerbocker society, which includes the Astors and Vanderbilts.

Temple Run 2

Monday, October 12, 2020 at 5:42:11 AM
carylouder007

Reply  Re: The English Wife Flag »  Reply »
The page is so useful for all the readers of the page which is helping them for collecting ideas all over the page. The ideas are really impressive for users to develop good ideas easily. aws devops engineer
  Monday, October 12, 2020 at 6:22:52 AM
playsolitaireaz

Reply  Re: The English Wife Flag »  Reply »
I agree with you. This post is truly inspiring. I like your post and everything you share with us is current and very informative, I want to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have done a fantastic job.

Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 2:40:18 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Education » The English Wife

» Reply to The English Wife Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.