How to size a water softener ? 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » How to size a water softener ?

Name Message
DUFFY

Topic  How to size a water softener ?       Flag »  Reply »
Is there a rule if thumb / formula for sizing a water softener for a self serve wash ?

Here's a way to save some money. In my not so humble opinion, you don't need to soften all of the water. Anymore I just use the soft water to mix the chemicals and feed the RO unit. You will get by on a much smaller system. Also instead of a twin tank take a look at a metered head system. This is a single tank unit that measures the flow of water and only regenerates that night when it reaches its max setting.
  Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 4:39:40 AM
ROBINSON

Reply  Re: How to size a water softener ? Flag »  Reply »
Aside from a large enough plumbing for the flow, you also want an adequate resin bed.

Don't forget to factor in RO if you have it, at least another 2 GPM, plus some extra for your Hydrominders. You could peak well over 20 GPM. Excessive flow through a small tank won't produce fully softened water.

I don't have access to softener manuals anymore to look up a formula, but I wouldn't go less than 1" meter and 3 cu.ft. resin per tank for what you have. If you go with a Fleck mechanical meter, you'll probably need an extended range meter.
  Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 4:42:02 AM
RUIZ

In fact, there are many factors you need to consider before purchasing a water softener. These include Type, Salt-free, Salt-based, Electronic, Materials and Quality, Brand, Size, Water Softener Price, and After-sales Service. If you have a water softener company near your house, you can ask them for help. This is the best solution to size a water softener.
  Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 4:42:13 AM
DUFFY

Buy a total hardness test kit regardless if your on a well or city water because you don't know how the plumber ran your softener on the plumbing lines in your house. Here, the outside faucets are Raw water and everything else is soft water inside your house. If your house is old, more than likely your house was plumbed the old way and your outside faucets will be soft water.
  Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 4:43:16 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » How to size a water softener ?

» Reply to How to size a water softener ? Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.