How to convert dds files to png online? 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » How to convert dds files to png online?

Name Message
DUFFY

Topic  How to convert dds files to png online?       Flag »  Reply »
Hello folks,

Can someone please help me with another question I have relating to .dds files in my Handy Objects Library.  I had converted all the .png texture files to .dds, and then removed all the .png files. However what I found in XP-10 was some strange things going on with transparent surfaces, i.e. sometimes they were not, or partial or just didn't look right.

What is the secret here? Do I have to include both in the library in each case, or just when there are items with transparent surfaces or some other permutation?. Is it the same for XP-11?   I have not really used this format before so am looking for some advice.

I did have a look in some other libraries, however I could see no clear pattern of what I should do as there was a real mish mash of file types.

Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:53:45 PM
ROBINSON

Reply  Re: How to convert dds files to png online? Flag »  Reply »
There are actually 5 different DXT compression formats, all of which WED/XP support. But they all differ in the resolution & quantizations of colors vs alpha channel, so without knowing more about your textures its had to say which format is the right one for you. Usually DXT3 or DXT5 should do it. Gimp has a DDS read/write plugin that works fine for X-plane purposes, too.

Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:55:51 PM
RUIZ

Thanks, I am going to do some more digging on this and try a few things. All the best for the advice.

Update : Bingo! Using Grinder did the trick, I just left it as 'auto' select for the type of dds, so hopefully that is OK. The other great thing is I could just copy the .png textures over on mass... so easy!  The transparent parts of my objects now look OK with .dds only. Will go ahead and upate my library soon. Thanks again.

Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:56:32 PM
disruptivetalk

Use DXT1 if all you have a is a simple alpha channel (i.e. booean true/false for the alpha), or no alpha at all. Sometimes if I leave it on 'auto' then it selects DXT5 even though I am only using a 1 bit-alpha. Generates smaller file sizes and VRAM sage. You don't want to edit a DDS because that will decompress and recompress it, and the compression causes artifacts and loss. Do this a few times and you'll be losing image quality.

Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:57:24 PM
ROBINSON

Just wondering if there is a big incentive to convert all my library texture files from .png to . dds. I see them being more widely used in XP11 and was wondering what the advantages really are? It is a fairly simple thing to do, although they do seem to be bigger on the Mb front.  Do they make a big difference?Thanks SW

Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:58:32 PM
RUIZ

Technically, Orbiter's TEX files are concatenations of many DDS files that resemble tiles of the whole texture. These tiles have to be assembled in a non-trivial way to get the full picture. This way even differs between usages of TEX file. Planet map TEX vs. ring texture TEX, or low-level resolution TEX vs. high-level TEX.

An easy - but not totally correct - way to find the start of each DDS file is to search for the magic header "DDS " (mind the white space at the end - hex-code 44 44 53 20). The correct way is to examine the header of the DDS file to check the size of the file.
Once it is clear where the DDS files start and stop, you can split the TEX into the many DDS files. With tools like texconv.exe, you can convert DDS files to PNG.
  Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 11:59:00 PM
DALTON

This is the format that is used in the OpenGL and Microsoft DirectX development environment. It is used to store bitmap images of user interface environments and textures. It allows you to store information in compressed and uncompressed forms. It is used for texturing game models and storing entire textural arrays to create games and 3D-software applications. DDS is used to develop the latest-generation video game consoles. It makes it possible to compress texture blocks 'on the fly', which increases performance when you run the application.
How to convert DDS to PNG.
  Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 11:33:10 PM
ThomasMore

A piece is a long undertaking spreading over a time of months to years, and accordingly, it is essential to evade postponing Write My essay Online Reviews. Remain centred and deal with your time proficiently. Here are every so often the directors' tips to assist you with picking up by your time as you get some information about and structure.
  Friday, March 6, 2020 at 12:16:01 AM
dissertationwriters

Dissertation-Writers has incorporated various handy creators and informative aides. They rush to serve understudy all through the world. The cooperation ensures the course of action of nature of substance and research-based material for understudies. The gathering considered all benefits for manage the things appropriately. Regardless, our gathering is successful in meeting of your essential and cutoff times.

Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 7:50:38 AM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » How to convert dds files to png online?

» Reply to How to convert dds files to png online? Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.