Dry Dog Food for Doberman Puppies 

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Dry Dog Food for Doberman Puppies

Name Message
joselcollin

Topic  Dry Dog Food for Doberman Puppies       Flag »  Reply »
Hi All, 
First time on a forum so please bear with me! Please could anyone help on what dry food is best to give my new Doberman Puppy. I understand that we will have to go with what the breeder is feeding her and wean her off but its a minefield out there. So many choices, such a variety in price. I would like to give her the best I possibly can. Picking her up in a couple of weeks time so just getting ready!! 
Thanks All
  Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:30:47 PM
ROBINSON

Reply  Re: Dry Dog Food for Doberman Puppies Flag »  Reply »
Have a look at Arden Grange, they do a specific large breed puppy food. I used this with both my dogs, and found it excellent. If you shop around online you can usually find it at a decent price. 

Other foods to consider are Fish4Dogs, Skinners, Burns, James Wellbeloved.

The main thing to look for is a good meat content and for it to be the first ingredient. Avoid too many cereals and derivatives of meat.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:31:44 PM
RUIZ

Barking Heads is good, I'm told.

I use Orijen for my grown up dog, raw for the babies. 

You can spend hours staring at ingredients, but all brands will give you a breakdown if you google the dog food reviews. You want as little cereal as possible (Orijen/Acana have none) and quite high protein. Rice is OK (Skinners Duck and Rice has good reviews from people I know).

As someone else said, are you fixed on dry? If so, why?

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:32:49 PM
anjangelanray

I know that this has a fabulous name! and have considered it long and hard myself, but sometimes I do worry about the amount of protein especially for a large breed pup! (albeit a good quality protein) Does anyone know how the puupy (assume they do one) compares? Just out of interest like!

And just out of interest! for those tht say it is grain free! sure our google queen checked this out last year and that there was actually a trace of grain in there! alfafa is I recall right! Not that that would be a problem - just wanted to check if I were imagaining things and that the old brain matter aint quite curled up and died yet!

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:33:36 PM
ROBINSON

Alfafa? Sundried, dontchaknow?! No wonder it's so flaming expensive. :rolleyes: I know it's given to horses as a good thing. Interesting, as the packaging says 70% protein, 30% fruit/veg, 0% grain. Surely alfafa is a grain?

I read various debates re high protein and puppies with interest as I went raw with my creatures. I figure in nature, they would eat mostly protein (I might be wrong and I don't want a row!) Some people have told me that high protein is not harmful to pups. I did use the puppy version for a while before going raw: think it's around 40%, but I might be remembering wrongly. They eat anything so were happy on it. I reckon they'd eat mud if I stuck it in their bowl!

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:34:03 PM
laurambradley

I don't think its a row!::) I call it a debate
But I honestly cannot with true conviction comment on the protien and any effect on the growth rate of puppies! I have read so so much and end up confused! But something in the back of my mind sort of make me compare then to plants if you know what I mean! you force the growth and their main stems can end up weak! 

And in favour of origen! am told that the quality of the protien is supurb
DT

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:34:55 PM
HUGHES

See how he gets on with the Wainwrights but I've heard some reports that it's not great for some dogs. It's really a question of finding one that your dog likes and sticking with it.

Personally I recommend https://wise-pick.com/best-food-for-doberman-puppies/. Orijen is good too (if a little pricey!) and we will be stocking that very shortly. 

All the best to you and your new pup,
  Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:37:06 PM
ROBINSON

I really like the Acana - sorry to hijack, but have you any plans to stock that any time?

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:37:30 PM
joselcollin

Beautiful pup. I love Dobes, my aunty always had them growing up, beautiful dogs.

My friend has just swapped her GSD from Arden Grange to wainwrighs (simply because she lives by a p@h so can get it easier than AG), and he's doing very well indeed.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:37:52 PM
anjangelanray

Yes she is . Any advice/ guidance welcome if you have any. Been reading a couple of books and info on internet sites. Booked some puppy courses. Really looking forward to getting her.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 2:38:06 PM

Professional Surveyor Boards » Ask an Expert » Dry Dog Food for Doberman Puppies

» Reply to Dry Dog Food for Doberman Puppies Topic

In order to post a new message, you must first be logged into an account.